A good introduction to the Calmont via ferrata is the St. Lawrence Church in Bremm. There it goes on the narrow road to the end, where then the actual climb begins. Good footwear, rain protection / sun protection, enough to drink, and a good slip resistance are prerequisites for this round. The lower part of the trail, until Eller, allows dogs to be taken. The upper path is unsuitable for dogs, and people who are not afraid of heights. Reason: here are some ladders that have to be overcome.
It is about 7 km long, for which you should plan about 3 hours. Suggestion: the lower path to the shelter Galgenlay, above Eller, there turn into the upper path and back over the four-lake view and the high sanctuary Calmont, down to the starting point, the church.
March 25, 2018
An absolute highlight when you are in the area. In my opinion, it is better to come from the church first to walk the via ferrata and then up the path to the Calmont summit. There you can enjoy a delicious wine at the tavern at the weekend with a magnificent view. The descent from there over very steep passages, with loose ground, should be enjoyed with caution.
June 13, 2020
Monastery StubenThe previously diverse monastery complex consisted of several buildings that adjoined the monastery church on the mountain side. Today only the outer walls of the former monastery church, which was rebuilt in 1687 with Gothic shapes, remain. As part of the renovation of the church ruins, the State Office for the Preservation of Monuments, Department of Archaeological Preservation of Monuments, Koblenz, has been carrying out extensive excavations since 2001, which have provided new insights into the pre-monastery settlement and development of the monastery. During the various new and rebuilding of the monastery complex, existing older components were repeatedly included in the newer buildings. The south side of the 45m long church stands on the foundations of the Romanesque predecessor church, consecrated in 1190. On the south side of the Romanesque church there was a cloister, to which a paved driveway led in the east. Remains of the cruciform chapel from the 13th century were uncovered between the Romanesque church and the driveway. The Kreuzkapelle was a place of pilgrimage for centuries because the so-called Stubener Staurothek was kept there, a splendid reliquary chest from the 10th century, which contains a double cross composed of »wooden particles from the cross of Christ. Knight Heinrich von Ulmen captured the reliquary on the fourth crusade in Constantinople in 1204 and bequeathed it to the monastery. Today it is kept in the Limburg Diocesan Museum. The cross chapel from the 13th century remained from the building work of the 17th century. left out. In the Romanesque church itself, the remains of Egelolf Castle are preserved. This in turn was founded in the ruins of a massive Roman building. In addition to Roman remains, early medieval finds also came to light, so that the place was apparently continuously inhabited from the Roman period until the monastery was abandoned. Source: Text information board
August 27, 2021
From the history of the monastery1137 - The Archbishop of Trier Albero confirms Abbot Richard Springiersbach a foundation of the noble Egelolf. He had given the monastery his property opposite Bremm with the castle house, chapel and vineyards in order to set up a monastery there according to the wishes of his daughter Gisela. During this time Gisela was able to meet other virgins and widows according to the Rule of St. Augustine live1190 - Consecration of the monastery church1208 - Surrender of a cross relic, which the crusader Heinrich von Ulmen captured during the conquest of Constantinople in 1204. The splendid storage library.1275 - The Archbishop of Trier's indulgence privilege for the construction of a new cross chapel.1276 - Collection of mild gifts for building chapels.1665 - A dormitory is built.1685 to 1687 - New construction of the monastery church1788 - conversion into a free women's pen.1794 - The escape of the monastery residents from the French revolutionary troops leads to the final abandonment of the monastery.1803 - secularization (Reichsdeputationshauptschluss)1820 - Auction of the monastery for demolition2001 ff. - Archaeological investigations in the course of pending wall renovations.
Source: Text information board
August 27, 2021
We made the rounds as Michael described them. The path is also well signposted and offers small opportunities to shorten it (mostly on steeper paths). With dogs, the path is only suitable if they are keen on climbing in order to find their own paths and, if necessary, allow themselves to be carried for a while. With walking sticks you get less help, because the paths are either too narrow or it is so steep that it is easier to use the wire ropes or the like to help. Otherwise, the path is very beautiful and definitely manageable for those who are athletic on average.
July 8, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!