Bike Touring Highlight
One of the sand mills used to be here. The place is indicated by an information board. The white house with the name "THE ZANDMOLEN" on the gable beam is the only remaining witness of the old watermill. The Zandmolen often suffered from drought. The mill was demolished in 1864. The waterfall has also disappeared and been replaced by a fish ladder. The first water mills were founded along the brook around 1300. Later paper mills were realized downstream. In 1368, the Leuvenumse Beek was leased and dug up to build mills. In 1525 the owner was given permission to “tap” the Uddelermeer for extra water. In 1736 there were three mills in the vicinity of Staverden and another six further downstream.
The first of the various sand mills followed in 1692. They were also (re) converted into paper mills.
In summer, families from the area often come here to take a break while walking or cycling and let the children play in and around the stream. Also a lovely cool place with some benches during very hot days.
July 19, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!