The Staverden corn mill has a very long history. The oldest mention of Staverden dates back to 1295. In that year Count Reynalt of Gelre received permission from the king to build a new town or fortress. The city was never built, but it was a courtyard with a mill. As early as 1307, the Count donated 20 pounds of interest to the Order of St. John of Jerusalem from proceeds from the court and mill of Staverden.
The mill has been leased by several owners over the centuries. The last tenant is the Gardenbroek family in 1850. This family worked with the watermill until 1924. When the mill was shut down, the waterwheel with the mill barrel and the interior were immediately demolished. The part along the brook of the mill house has also been demolished. The Geldersch Landschap en Kasteelen (GLK) foundation became the owner of the Staverden estate in 1963.
January 3, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.