The Catholic pilgrimage church "Maria in the vineyard" is located above the Franconian wine village Volkach on the Mainschleife in the Lower Franconian district of Kitzingen. The late Gothic church is located in the middle of the vineyards of the main Franconian wine-growing region on the Volkacher Kirchberg. It still houses an important work of art by the carver Tilman Riemenschneider.
February 23, 2017
The pilgrimage church of St. Maria im Weingarten is located - surrounded by vineyards - above Volkach. The church was built in its present form in the second half of the 15th century. Originally planned was a three-nave construction, which was carried out only in a single ship. The church was especially well-known by Tilman Riemenschneider's rosary Madonna from 1521-24 (picture: 6). However, to what extent it comes from Riemenschneider itself or 'only' comes from his workshop, is still unclear.
The depiction of St. Anna with her daughter Maria and the baby Jesus ("Anna Selbdritt") (picture: 5) was created around 1520 based on a template from Riemenschneider's workshop. The center of the church as a place of pilgrimage is the Pietà - here a late Gothic wooden sculpture showing Mary and her dead son (picture: 7).
(Source: G. Dehio, Handbook of German Art Monuments, Munich 1979, see "Volkach")
September 14, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.