Siebeneichen Castle stands south of Meissen high above the Elbe on the left bank. The fate of Siebeneichen determined one family for over four centuries - from 1543 until the land reform: the von Miltitz family. The name "Siebeneeichen" probably comes from pre-Christian times and indicates a site of Germanic jurisdiction.
Siebeneichen Palace was built by Ernst von Miltitz, ducal court marshal, chief steward of the duchess and adviser to Prince Ernst Moritz von Sachsen. Favorable circumstances allowed him to take possession of the property: with the Reformation in Albertine Saxony, the state confiscated the properties of the monasteries. Ernst von Miltitz took advantage of this and in 1543 acquired the village and Freigut Bockwen and the associated outwork Siebeneichen from the property of the Meissen Cistercian monastery "Zum Heiligen Kreuz". Although Ernst von Miltitz had just rebuilt his castle in Batzdorf, he decided to turn Siebeneichen into a representative manorial residence. In 1553 he built a castle wing with two towers on the rocky outcrop, which was preceded by a small courtyard.
The castle, originally built in the Renaissance style, remained a massive complex with stair towers and solid masonry, sandstone decorations on the windows and spiral staircases inside, which are still preserved today in the rear castle, until the reconstruction of 1748. In 1745-48, after a fire, the lord of the castle redesigned the building in a baroque style to suit the taste of the time. Heinrich Gottlob von Miltitz built a three-wing complex over the older castle courtyard, which was damaged by fire. The towers were partially demolished and the facades of the palace lost their Renaissance gables.
Siebeneichen Castle was owned by the von Miltitz family until the land reform in 1945. After that, the founding of a natural history museum was followed by various uses as a district administration school, a state adult education center in Saxony, a central school for cultural education and a school for club and cultural house managers. Today Siebeneichen Castle is the training and conference center of the Saxon Educational Institute. There are numerous grave monuments from the 16th and 17th centuries in the castle courtyard.
August 16, 2020
Siebeneichen Castle in Meissen was built by Ernst von Miltitz in the 16th century. The castle is located on the southern slope of the Elbe opposite the Spaargebirge mountains upstream from the old town of Meissen in the Siebeneichen district. The property is located on Siebeneichener Strasse, which runs as Bundesstrasse 6 to Dresden.
The complex was first mentioned in 1220. A noble family named itself after Siebeneichen in the 12th century. The name probably comes from the Slavic.
Between 1553 and 1555 the Electoral Saxon councilor and court marshal Ernst von Miltitz built a three-storey Renaissance palace with two corner towers and dormer houses, which is still largely intact. In 1591 his son Nickel von Miltitz had a walled Renaissance garden with water features laid out.
In 1748, under Heinrich Gottlob von Miltitz, the west side of the palace was expanded with a three-winged building, which has a nine-axis display façade and a high mansard roof. At the beginning of the 19th century, Sarah Anna Constable, the wife of Dietrich von Miltitz, had a 35-hectare landscaped park laid out based on English models, which is now one of the oldest in Saxony.
Siebeneichen Castle was an important site of Romanticism in Saxony. Here operated u. a. Heinrich von Kleist, Novalis and Johann Gottlieb Fichte.
Later landowners were Alfred von Miltitz from 1880 and from 1912 his son Ludwig Carl. In 1945 the castle was expropriated and the estate was divided among new farmers. The castle was initially used as a natural history museum from 1946. From 1958 to 1991 the castle housed the technical school for club leaders "Martin Andersen Nexö", then the folk high school for adult education in rural areas. From 1997 it has been the seat of the Saxon Academy for Teacher Training, which has been merged into the Meissen Training and Conference Center in what is now the State Office for Schools and Education.
Siebeneichen was incorporated into Meissen in 1978.
May 1, 2021
There isn't much to add... The Renaissance palace (later extended and partly baroque style) built in the 16th century by the Saxon councilor and court marshal Ernst von Miltitz, with its front facing the Elbe (wonderful to see from the Spaargebirge opposite!) and the second after To the west, also has an English landscape park.
Our little personal highlight there was the Renaissance building next to it.
February 6, 2022
Siebeneichen Castle is very closely linked to Novalis. Novalis was a universalist, thinker and poet. He studied law in Jena and met there Goethe, Herder and Jean Paul, also someone whose books were in my backpack a quarter of a century ago. Novalis became friends with Tieck, Schelling and the Schlegel brothers. Three years after completing his law studies, he began studying mining, mathematics and chemistry at the Bergakademie in Freiberg. He formed a very close friendship with Schiller. Repeatedly to Siebeneichen, his friendship led him to Dietrich von Miltitz. His father, the discoverer and patron of the philosopher Johann Gottlieb Fichte, died when von Miltitz was five years old, and Novalis' father became Mitlitz' guardian. From 1810 onwards, its castles became the focus of Romanticism in Saxony, which was given the name of the Scharfenberger Kreis. The loose association of romantic poets and intellectuals included Heinrich von Kleist, Johann Gottlieb Fichte, Hans Georg von Carlowitz, Carl Adolf von Carlowitz, Friedrich de la Motte Fouqué, Johann August Apel, E.T.A. Hoffmann and Christian Gottfried Körner. Unfortunately, Novalis had already died at the age of 29 from "consumption"; he had probably contracted it from Schiller. Despite his limited oeuvre, the restless, creative and reflective Novalis is considered one of the most important representatives of early German Romanticism.
February 27, 2022
Siebeneichen Castle is a Renaissance building. It was built in the 16th century by Ernst von Miltitz (1495/98-1555), court marshal, Electoral Saxon councilor and governor of the Meissen district, among other things. Located opposite the Spaargebirke on the southern slope of the Elbe, the castle can be found in the Meissen district of Siebeneichen, part of the old town
October 31, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!