Wine was already being grown on Kapellenberg in the 13th century. On Paul Pfinzing's Spessart map (1594), the Mainaschaffer Weinberg is not only marked with a corresponding symbol, but also explicitly labeled "Weinberg". This fact is all the more remarkable as on this oldest surviving Spessart map, which shows the Main Valley from Gemünden to Klein-Krotzenburg, only the Klingenberg vineyard is entered along the entire course of the river, albeit without naming it as such.Later a "cross of stone" was erected on this vineyard, "which, visible from afar, beautifies the square, on a point that offers a wide, beautiful view". Unfortunately, there is no further information about this cross, but it must have been in the immediate vicinity of the former chapel.
October 24, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!