The hunting arsenal at Kranichsteiner Straße 253 is a building in Darmstadt-Kranichstein, which belonged to the area of the Kranichstein hunting lodge in the Landgraviate of Hessen-Darmstadt. It is a cultural monument for reasons of architecture, hunting history and urban history.
The hunting arsenal now houses the "bioversum Jagdschloß Kranichstein", a museum of biodiversity and biological invasions using the example of local habitats. The focus is on the beech forest. There are more interactive discovery stations in the outdoor area, which is enclosed by the old wall. Today there is also a restaurant and a conference hotel in the building.
The arsenal was built between 1688 and 1690. Stylistically, the building belongs to the Baroque era. The builder was Landgrave Ernst Ludwig. As an armory, it was specially designed for the storage of objects and animals for stately hunting or, according to Grimm's dictionary, “for storing tall, medium and small hunting gear”.
The two-story building was made of rubble stone and had a slate-covered mansard roof. The arsenal is 112 meters long, 10 meters wide and has 25 window axes. The first floor consisted of a single, continuous stable. The stable was accessed through two gates at the front of the house. On the northern side of the gable there is a large antler on the gable.
On the ground floor - of the house built at the time of the par force hunt - the wagons stood and the horses rested. The hunters and farmhands' bedrooms were upstairs. The so-called hunting rags, which were used for discontinued hunting, hung under the high, airy mansard roof. The phrase “go through the rags” refers to these rag hunts, a specific form of driven hunt or driven hunt.
January 8, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!