The ruin was built in the middle of the 12th century. built and was the seat of the Babenberger. The dimensions are 175 x 80m. It was once the largest Romanesque castle in Austria. In the 16th century it was deserted and finally destroyed in 1797 by Freiherr von Penkler. From 1808, the ruin was owned by the Prince of Liechtenstein and was partly rebuilt (in the Romanesque sense). In 1848, however, she was devastated. Walter von der Vogelweide also spent a few years at the former castle.
November 2, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!