A church of St. Mary is mentioned for the first time in 1213. The beginnings go back further. Two octagonal columns at the stairs of the rood screen probably date from the time it was built. On December 26th, 1258 the Archbishop of Trier Arnold II of Isenburg elevated the Marienkirche to a collegiate monastery. Patronage lords were initially the knights of Milewalt, von Pfaffenau and von Walbach, later also the lords of Leyen.In 1308 the construction of today's Church of Our Lady began (inscription of a lost glass painting). It is a plastered, red painted quarry stone building (that's why it is also called the red church). Altar and choir consecration took place in 1331 (document). As the last construction phase, the west tower was completed shortly after 1351 (dendrochronological dating of a tie rod on the top square tower floor).
November 2, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.