The New Isenburg is a castle ruin in the Essen district Bredeney and was named after the Hattinger Isenburg, which was destroyed in 1226.
The complex consists of a forecourt and a core castle, which are separated by a wide ditch. The former drawbridge, which used to be the only access to the main castle, is now replaced by a modern wooden bridge.From the castle you also have a beautiful view of the Baldeneysee. The ruin is freely accessible and can be visited free of charge.
February 24, 2016
The Isenburg (New Isenburg) is a ruined castle in the Essen district Bredeney. It was once named after the Hattinger Isenburg, which was destroyed in 1226. The complex was built around 1240 by Count Dietrich von Altena-Isenberg on a 150 m high mountain spur of the Brembergs above the Ruhr. The rocky castle area is bordered on the east and west by deep stream valleys and on the south side by a steep slope to Baldeneysee. The castle was thus easy to defend and also had a strategic location near the Kölnische Straße and the Hellweg. But only 48 years after its construction, the castle was already destroyed again and then fell into a ruin.
March 21, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!