Shop
Discover

Kirche und Engelsfriedhof aus dem 18. Jh.

Kirche und Engelsfriedhof aus dem 18. Jh.

Hiking Highlight

Created by komoot users
Recommended by 608 out of 656 hikers

Tips

  • Landlinien

    In the vicinity of the Castle Burg (Solingen-Unterburg) is a little secluded on the banks of the Wupper a contemplative Protestant church from the 18th century. The adjoining cemetery was built shortly after the construction of the church in 1744. The special thing about it are the then 105 tombstones of sandstone, of which 52 are still preserved today. If you look closely, you can still recognize an angel's head, which once graced each of these tombstones. In addition, at that time the family name was added in the form of a picture or a symbol (for example a fish for fishermen).

    translated byView Original
    • February 11, 2016

  • Olli "ROTE HOSE"😄

    The small district Burg exists because of the difference in height from the two districts Oberburg and Unterburg. The burgers made a point early to be allowed to practice the religion of their choice in the parish church of St. Martin. In 1553, almost the entire church converted to the Lutheran faith. Later, Lutherans and Catholics took turns using the church. The ownership of the church was argued for many years.In the 17th century, the Lutherans split by a counter-Reformation in two camps. Due to the destruction of the church during the Thirty Years' War, the Lutherans first found shelter in a residential building on today's Müngstener Straße, before they built their first church there from 1732 to 1735 from the remains of the destroyed castle. This process led to the denominational division of the place in the Lutheran Lower and the Catholic Upper Castle. The laying of the cornerstone of the church took place on May 8, 1732.The building on the banks of the Wupper is an austere hall of quarry stone in the Bergisch Baroque style. Against the resistance of the Catholics, the Lutherans were initially prevented from setting up a tower with bells in the hall, as they did not want to hear anything about the services in Lower Castle in Oberburg. It was not until 1786 that the electoral government permitted the construction of the tower. The tower was completed in 1787, since then also the year 1787 adorns the tower. He is covered with a flat tent roof. From 1786 to 1787 three bells were acquired, which came from a dilapidated church in Nürburg. The interior design corresponds to that of a Protestant sermon church. [1]Protestant cemetery
    In the immediate vicinity of the church was built in 1744, the Protestant cemetery. All his tombstones are made of double panels with crowning angels' heads. Between 1831 and 1832, the Protestant rectory was built between the church and Wupper, according to the plans of the agricultural inspector of Gloeden. It is a two-storey dreamlike plaster construction with a crippled roof. Wikipedia

    translated byView Original
    • February 4, 2017

  • Silvia

    1951-1953 complete restoration
    1952 Exposure of ornamental paintings ("folk art") on the altar and pulpit, probably from the time the church was built. Renovation of the organ pulpit prospect; Old style restoration
    monument

    translated byView Original
    • December 11, 2017

  • Marcel

    This Protestant church is a Grade II listed church building. In the immediate vicinity was built in 1744, the Protestant cemetery. Between the church and Wupper, the Protestant rectory was built.

    translated byView Original
    • July 28, 2017

  • Olli "ROTE HOSE"😄

    The small district Burg exists because of the difference in height from the two districts Oberburg and Unterburg. The burgers made a point early to be allowed to practice the religion of their choice in the parish church of St. Martin. In 1553, almost the entire church converted to the Lutheran faith. Later, Lutherans and Catholics took turns using the church. The ownership of the church was argued for many years.In the 17th century, the Lutherans split by a counter-Reformation in two camps. Due to the destruction of the church during the Thirty Years' War, the Lutherans first found shelter in a residential building on today's Müngstener Straße, before they built their first church there from 1732 to 1735 from the remains of the destroyed castle. This process led to the denominational division of the place in the Lutheran Lower and the Catholic Upper Castle. The laying of the cornerstone of the church took place on May 8, 1732.The building on the banks of the Wupper is an austere hall of quarry stone in the Bergisch Baroque style. Against the resistance of the Catholics, the Lutherans were initially prevented from setting up a tower with bells in the hall, as they did not want to hear anything about the services in Lower Castle in Oberburg. It was not until 1786 that the electoral government permitted the construction of the tower. The tower was completed in 1787, since then also the year 1787 adorns the tower. He is covered with a flat tent roof. From 1786 to 1787 three bells were acquired, which came from a dilapidated church in Nürburg. The interior design corresponds to that of a Protestant sermon church. [1]Protestant cemetery
    In the immediate vicinity of the church was built in 1744, the Protestant cemetery. All his tombstones are made of double panels with crowning angels' heads. Between 1831 and 1832, the Protestant rectory was built between the church and Wupper, according to the plans of the agricultural inspector of Gloeden. It is a two-storey, unsupported plaster construction with a crippled roof.
    Wikipedia

    translated byView Original
    • February 4, 2017

  • Silvia

    1951-1953 complete restoration

    1952 Exposure of ornamental paintings ("folk art") on the altar and pulpit, probably from the time the church was built. Renovation of the organ pulpit prospect; Old style restoration

    monument

    translated byView Original
    • December 8, 2017

  • TomCook

    The cemetery next to the Protestant church in Unterburg, which was laid out in 1744, was abandoned in 1854. The cemetery is right next to the Wupper and exudes a morbid charm. I only know something like that from old Anglican churches in England and Scotland.
    The church in Unterburg is open on Sundays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    Müngstener Strasse 23
    42659 Solingen
    Source ekwk.de/kirchen-gemh/kirche-unterburg

    translated byView Original
    • April 26, 2018

  • Hans Peter

    My tip: a heathland in the Netherlands near the German border. You often hike over white sand and through forests where horses live freely. Small lakes, which emerged from disused peat extraction pits, complete the experience of nature.
    How to get there: via the Autobahn 61 in a northerly direction to the Wanlo junction, then on the A 46 to Hueckelhoven - West, then north through Ratheim, then past Wassenberg to the border town of Rothenbach and here too, continue on the road towards Roermond. After approx. 3 km behind a petrol station, turn right into an avenue and then after approx. 1 km park at a level crossing in a parking lot for hikers.

    translated byView Original
    • November 3, 2016

  • wuseltiere

    Beautiful old church with adjoining cemetery

    translated byView Original
    • March 28, 2017

  • Sandra

    A Protestant church is unusual in the area, but it was also built in 1734.

    translated byView Original
    • February 19, 2019

  • Schroedefix

    Nice little church. If you follow this road in the direction of the main road, you walk to a few cafes. Not quite as crowded as at the castle.

    translated byView Original
    • May 27, 2019

  • Schroedefix

    Nice church and nice street

    translated byView Original
    • May 27, 2019

  • Tobias

    Very idyllic and a perfect place for a break

    translated byView Original
    • May 21, 2020

  • Marco Ardu

    Really great landscape and idyll

    translated byView Original
    • May 29, 2020

  • ⛰🥾 Dominik 🥾⛰

    To find between castle and river!

    translated byView Original
    • July 12, 2020

  • RobertO

    The Protestant Church Solingen-Burg is a listed church building in the Solingen district of Burg an der Wupper

    translated byView Original
    • November 5, 2020

In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

Best Hikes to Kirche und Engelsfriedhof aus dem 18. Jh.

loading

Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.

Learn More
loading
Location: Bergisches Land, Cologne District, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Information

  • Elevation110 m

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Bergisches Land

loading
Discover

Kirche und Engelsfriedhof aus dem 18. Jh.