Bike Touring Highlight
The Parish Church of St. Mary's Birth in the Diocese of Eichstätt is one of the oldest churches in Bavaria. It is located in Oberweiling, a district of the city of Velburg, and was built around 1020.“Weiling” was first mentioned as a gift in 1002 in a deed of King Henry II on November 20, 1002. During the Thirty Years' War on July 7, 1632, the vicarage including barn and stable, part of the church tower and the village of Oberweiling burned down by a few houses by the Swedish troops. In 1633 the government only paid Oberweiling to rebuild the church tower.After the church tower and the cemetery wall collapsed again in 1682, their reconstruction was also financed with a toe confiscation. The church furnishings that can be seen there today date from the early 18th century. The extensive cemetery wall with the Lourdes Grotto, which was built in 1905, offers an impressive picture. The weir wall or cemetery wall formerly provided protection for locals from migrating troops, especially in the Thirty Years' War. The cemetery was expanded in the 1960s. In 1968 a new rectory was built. In the 1980s, the old rectory was deliberately brought down to collapse.The church is the main church in the parish of Oberweiling. The building and the defensive wall are listed. (Source Wikipedia)
April 26, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!