Bike Touring Highlight
The gate (or Lüdinghauser Pforte or Ludinchuser Porten) was probably built in the 14th century as a wooden gate as part of the city fortification. The stone towers were built at the end of the 15th century, using a wooden battlements as a connection. At the gates and walls guns were built, two of them were from 1584 at Lüdinghauser gate. The battlements and the gatehouse, built in the meantime, disappeared over time. The gatehouse was demolished in 1836, when the collection of tolls was prohibited. Until 1906, one of the towers also served as a city prison.
December 20, 2015
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!