The development of the pump mills was the reverse of that of the Teutermill and pump art. Already in the early 17th century, mining in the "Haan" pit was carried out with a swamp. Mining was stopped after a few decades. Since mining no longer took up this location, the Aachen magistrate granted some copper masters the right to build copper mills on the former pump in 1648 from its Schleiden feudal domination. The accumulation levels had to be maintained in the mining industry, as was the case during pumping times.
Several mills were built. A later report even mentions six mills. Around 1750, thimbles were made in three mills. At the beginning of the 19th century oil, grinding and grinding mills for sewing needles were reported. The last pump mill was closed around 1920.
April 10, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.