Bike Touring Highlight
Before the construction of the cotton mill, the Mangfall had to be straightened over a length of 2.7 km, an equally long factory canal had to be built and the Mangfall wilderness cleared and leveled. Construction of the factory began in March 1861. At the same time, six houses, two bridges and a connecting road from the country road to the Kolbermoor train station were built between Mangfall and the canal. On January 2, 1863, operation with 11,000 spindles was started in the six-story main building. A year later, 41,000 spindles were used to manufacture yarn. On November 26, 1898, the spinning mill was destroyed within a few hours. A fire broke out at 8:30 a.m. on the 4th floor of the main building. The cause was never fully clarified. With the amount of combustible material present, the fire spread quickly, so that all attempts to nip it in the bud were unsuccessful. There was no longer any question of saving the six-story main building.
Despite the fire and enormous financial burdens, the spinning management decided to rebuild it, which was still completed in 1899.
Source and further information
May 30, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.