In 1246, Count Friedrich von Hochstaden, provost of Xanten, gave the county with the castles Are, Hardt and Hochstaden to the archbishopric of Cologne with the consent of his brother Konrad von Are-Hochstaden. The extension buildings with extensive defensive walls were built in the Electorate of Cologne during the 14th and 15th centuries to protect the Electoral Cologne possessions in the Ahr area. In the 16th and 17th centuries, there were only minor changes to the building fabric through repairs and replacement buildings. At times the castle also served as a prison, in which the Cologne archbishops imprisoned unpleasant opponents in order to make them compliant. For a long time Are Castle was the spiritual and cultural center for the entire area.
The Archbishops of Cologne pledged Are Castle with the Altenahr office more frequently. The pledges were each used as bailiffs and often lived in the castle. The structural condition of the castle complex was poor for longer periods of time, as the pledgee did not allow the necessary repairs to be carried out. The time of Heinrich von der Horst, who died in 1625, was an exception with a structurally very good condition.
After nine months of siege by French troops, the castle was captured for the first time in 1690. The castle was badly damaged by the bombardment. In 1697 the French withdrew, but occupied the castle again from the War of the Spanish Succession that began in 1701. In 1706 troops from the Electorate of Cologne took over the castle and made the area unsafe. For this reason, Elector Joseph Clemens of Bavaria had the walls blown up in 1714 in agreement with the villagers. Since then the castle has been in ruins. Materials that could still be used, such as wood and stones, were used as building materials for the new building of the office building at the foot of the castle hill.
April 9, 2020
Are Castle is the listed ruin of a hilltop castle at 240 m above sea level. NHN. It was built from 1095 to 1105 by Count Dietrich I of Are and first mentioned in a document in 1121.
Since 1965 the Are Gymnasium Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler has borne the name in reference to the castle and the noble family of the same name. Source: Wikipedia
October 31, 2020
The floor plan of the castle is a square. In addition to parts of the outer bailey and a gate - the so-called Gymnicher Porz - remains of the defensive wall have also been preserved. In addition, there is an old gate tower (also known as the bell tower) on the south side of the complex, next to it the ruins of the palace, which once had a heated bishop's chamber. The first donjon probably stood on the pointed cliff in the north corner. To the north of it extensive remains of the Romanesque castle chapel from the 12th century have been preserved. Wikipedia
July 24, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!