The fort was built from 1869-1879. It originally had strategic importance for securing the river mouth. Since it was not needed, parts were blown up after the war and it slowly fell into decay. After extensive restoration, it is now a museum, and the only remaining German naval artilleriefort.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!