In the earliest time a river flowed through the cave, which is documented by water level marks on the walls. To the cave there is a legend of the writer Wilhem Hauff. Thereafter, the giant home once lived here, until he moved into the specially built for him castle Reussenstein.
The cave can be easily reached from the Wandererparkplatz Bahnhöfle and is freely accessible.
September 26, 2016
The Heimenstein cave is named after the Heimenstein, a striking rock opposite the ruin Reußenstein. Here was a castle that is barely recognizable today. The Heimenstein cave, which is located in this rock and is a passage cave, was probably integrated into the defensive system of the castle. From the mountain side, it goes down steeply, until finally the 20m lower located second entrance is reached. This is located in the cliff towards Reußenstein and offers a beautiful view of the ruin Reußenstein.
May 22, 2017
The "Heimenstein Cave" is located near Neidlingen in the Esslingen district, Baden-Württemberg.- it is a so-called through cave, i.e. it has a natural entrance and exit
- is on the Heimenstein / Swabian Alb
- at 756 m above sea level NN
- the cave (entrance) passage leads steeply downhill for about 80 meters, at the end of the cave (exit) passage there is an iron gate
- freely accessible, but the cave exit is not accessible from January to July (breeding season, access is then closed (see information board)
- those who like caves are worth seeing, but the wonderful view at the entrance to the surroundings is enough, opposite is the "Reußenstein Castle ruins"
- The "Heimenstein Castle" once stood here, which stood above the Heimenstein cave (alt-owen.com/heimenstein)- s. luftschubser.de/burg-auf-dem-heimensteinThe legend of the "Giant Home": baden-wuerttemberg.de/de/unser-land/tradUNGEN/sagen-und-legend/der-riese-vom-reussenstein
September 27, 2020
Here you can go through the cave to a lookout point with a great view of the Reußenstein ruins. Either wait a while inside until the eyes have got used to the darkness, or use a flashlight. You have to be a little careful with wet shoes, as the path is popular and the lime is correspondingly greasy.
During the breeding season the gate at the lower exit is locked.
September 3, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!