This Highlight is in a protected area
Please check local regulations for: Naturpark Schwarzwald Mitte/Nord
Wolfach Castle is also called Fürstenberg Castle and replaced a previous building from the time of Count Heinrich VI. from Fürstenberg. Today the Wolfach City Museum is housed in the castle. The castle chapel, which is well worth seeing, has also been preserved.
October 28, 2019
Great cooling off at over 30 degrees for the legs. Benches invite you to linger
June 16, 2022
The Fürstenberg Castle stands like a bolt in the Kinzig valley. Definitely worth seeing. The local history museum is also located in the castle and offers a glimpse of the castle's hunger tower. In front of the castle gate, the fools come to their parades (8 of 12) on Fasnet. That alone is more like worth seeing.
August 31, 2021
"Wolfach Castle, with its 110 meter long façade, is one of the largest castles in central Baden. Its origins probably date back to around 1180. It was given its current form from 1671 to 1681 under Landgrave Maximilian Franz von Fürstenberg. Among other things, the magnificent portal was created at that time at the entrance of the large castle courtyard.
After the early death of the builder, the shell of the castle was not completed according to the original plans, but expanded into simple offices for the count's officials. Even today, it mainly houses the offices of district and state authorities. The palace hall in the right wing is used for events.The ground floor of the north wing has housed the municipal museum since 1964. In five years of work, the rooms were renovated and restored to the condition of the room at the time of construction. The new "Museum in Wolfach Castle" has been open since June 2013. The former castle kitchen has been used as a rafting museum since 1995.A historical gem of a special kind is the castle chapel. The origin of this pilgrimage church to the 'Sorrowful Mother of God' goes back around 700 years. It got its present form with the construction of the current castle. In addition to the miraculous image from the 14th century, the chapel also houses some artistically valuable altar and votive paintings. A special treasure is the painting 'Christ in the Grave' from 1788, by the then 14-year-old Johann Baptist Seele from Wolfach, later court painter to the King of Württemberg. The castle chapel is used by the Catholic parish of St. Laurentius and is accessible during the day."
September 15, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.Learn more