The ruins of a high Gothic central building in the vineyards above St. Peter's Church used to be a much-visited pilgrimage chapel. It was built shortly after 1287. The reason for the construction was the murder of a boy Werner, whose body had been found in Holy Week 1287. The death was blamed on the Jewish community of Oberwesel without any evidence. The result was unbridled persecution of the Jews, in which over 40 people died. As a result of this pogrom, a chapel dedicated to Werner was built.
In the meantime, several historians have clearly shown that this accusation of the Jewish fellow citizens was wrongly made. The pastor at the time, Heinrich Crumbach, invented this ritual murder legend based on the false legend about William of Norwich (1144).
January 10, 2021
Between St. Peter's Church and the castle Stahleck stands as a cultural monument of Rhineland High Gothic, namely the ruins of the former Wernerkapelle. The chapel was dedicated to the boy and folk saint Werner. A legend says that Werner should have fallen victim to a Jewish ritual murder.
August 25, 2018
Beautiful to look at. There are only a few foundations left with the Gothik typical pointed arches. But this place conveys a great atmosphere. At the same time it is a great photo opportunity. The former chapel can be reached via several stairs. It lies on a path between St. Peter's Church and the castle Stahleck. These three sights should not be missed during a visit to Bacharach.
February 21, 2019
The ruins of a high Gothic central building in the vineyards above St. Peter used to be a much-visited pilgrimage chapel. It was built shortly after 1287. The reason for the construction was the murder of a boy named Werner, whose body was found in Holy Week 1287. His death was blamed on the Jewish community of Oberwesel without any evidence. The result was unbridled persecution of the Jews, in which over 40 people were killed. Soon after the pogrom, a chapel was built in honor of Werner. Around the same time, pilgrimages to the Kunibert Chapel, where the boy was buried, began. In 1293 an altar in the south arm of the Werner Chapel was consecrated, and in 1337 the east choir was consecrated. The chapel was only completed after 1426 at the instigation of the theology professor and humanist Dr. Winand von Steeg (1421-38 pastor in Bacharach). In 1689, when Stahleck Castle was blown up, the chapel was badly damaged when rubble fell on it. In 1752 the north arm had to be removed with a figure portal because of the risk of landslides, in 1787 all roofs and vaults were removed. Since 1980 security measures have been carried out under the direction of cathedral master builder Wolff from Cologne. Since 1981 the building association Wernerkapelle has been taking care of the rescue and restoration of the Wernerkapelle.
May 2, 2021
The Wernerkapelle is today a landmark and memorial for the (not only) medieval persecution of Jewish citizens.
The name Werner was allegedly taken to death by members of the Jewish community because they wanted to steal him a host ...
From this developed at his grave a place of pilgrimage where the Wernerkapelle was created.
October 21, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!