Bike Touring Highlight
Cycling may not be permitted at this location.
The Nibelung tower
Between 1897 and 1900, a permanent bridge over the Rhine was built at Worms for the first time. It was inaugurated on March 26, 1900 in the presence of the Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig of Hesse and the Rhine and since then has carried the name Ernst Ludwig Bridge.
As a special ornament she received on both sides a roadway superstructure in tower form. The plans came from Karl Hoffmann.
During World War II, FLAKs were installed on the two stair towers. In March 1945, the bridge was blown up. The damaged bridge tower on the Rhine side of the Rhine was demolished, and the steel structure of the Rhine-spanning arches was replaced by the first prestressed concrete bridge in Germany erected in the free extension. At the inauguration in 1953, she received the new name "Nibelungen Bridge".
The Nibelung tower has a total height of 53m. The Rheingütestation was established a few years ago in the three basement floors and on the observation deck of the staircase arcade. The old ticket booths at the road level gave way to the breakthroughs for pedestrian and bicycle paths after the war. Directly above the passage were on two floors of serviced apartments for the bridge guard, later also the two upper massif days were expanded. Above it rise three more attic floors under the imposing slate helmet. Above the road there are thus eight floors of which five are used.
January 25, 2017
On the Rhineland-Palatinate side of the Rhine is the 53 meter high, "Nibelungenturm" called, Romanesque bridge tower of the "old" Worms Rhine bridge (Nibelungen) preserved - a monumental tower in the "Nibelungen style" and representative entrance to the city of Worms. It was built in 1900 according to plans by Stadtbaumeister Karl Hofmann.
Until 1945 there was a identical "twin tower" on the opposite, today Hessian Rhine side. The tower on the Rhine side of the Rhine was destroyed shortly before the end of the war and not rebuilt. Source: worms.de
April 24, 2019
The bridge has always been extremely attractive to cyclists and pedestrians. Now that there is a second bridge and you always come to the middle on the "normal" paths, you don't see much anymore. It's worth taking a little detour to get to the two outside sides!
April 15, 2020
The Nibelungen Bridge connects the city of Worms with the towns of Bürstadt and Lampertheim on the other side of the Rhine.
According to tradition, the bridge was used before the world wars between 1900 and 1945. At that time popularly known under the name "Ernst Ludwig Bridge", it was rebuilt after the destruction in World War II between 1951 and 1953 and then renamed "Nibelungenbrücke".
April 4, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!