The oldest mention of the municipality dates back to 973.Until the 18th century there were ponds and pools in the landscape where carp were raised.At the beginning of the 15th century there were a number of large farmhouses here.During the religious wars, the inhabitants had a hard time. In September 1566, soldiers of the Duke of Alva stayed in the area and terrorized them, with the women in particular suffering. They were also required to provide the soldiers with food and drink and to maintain their horses. Many residents fled.On November 20, 1571, a Friar Minor was murdered by highwaymen during his journey to Ghent.
At the beginning of 1572, royal edicts called on the population to protect the churches and spiritual goods against destruction by the Beggars, which was followed twice by farmers of Lemberge and the surrounding area. During their absence, however, Spanish soldiers looted their property and everything they got their hands on. On September 14, 1577, the inhabitants of Lemberge and Merelbeke were ordered by the magistrate of Aalst to deliver a chariot with four horses to the army.During the First World War, a German airfield was built along the current Burgemeesters Van Gansberghelaan with a zeppelin hall that was later used for airplanes. The presence of the airfield made Lemberge a regular target of Allied shelling and bombs, causing considerable damage. The fields of the former airport and the grounds of the former 'Goed ten Bossche' have today been occupied by the ILVO Plant sites Merelbeke and Melle.merelbeke.be
April 24, 2021