Road Cycling Highlight
The former monastery is located in the municipality Niddatal-Ilbenstadt.
1123 was started with the church. The monastery housed men and women a so-called double monastery. Approximately In 1138, the construction of the Niederilbenstadt Abbey began about 500 meters down the valley. It was purchased from the female branch around 1150. 1158 the (today's) two-towered church was consecrated. 1695-1715 New construction of the entire monastery complex. 1819 demolition of the old parish church. Much inventory of the monastery church was sold. The abbey church became parish church of Ilbenstadt. 1923-37 Benedictines from Kornelimünster settle the monastery building. After that it serves as Reichsarbeitsdienstlager for girls. In 1963, a fire destroys the old monastery, which is rebuilt in modern form and run as a youth and education center of the Diocese of Mainz 🚴♂️
August 14, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.