Bike Touring Highlight
Wonderful church ⛪️The church named after St. Lambert is like the little younger Jakobikirche one of the two old inner city parish churches of Coesfeld. It was built as a wooden church by Ludgerus, the first bishop of Münster. The oldest preserved parts are central nave pillars of the Staufer hall church in the bound system from the 13th century. A double tower facade with a vestibule was in front of it. Two previous stone buildings have been archaeologically proven. The builder Henric de Suer, based in Coesfeld, expanded the building in two construction phases in quick succession. In 1473 he had the two-bay choir with side apses built, then he renewed the side aisles and the vault of the central nave, losing the bound order. The still existing hall church is therefore largely to be regarded as his work. As early as 1635, the southern tower fell victim to a November storm due to poor building maintenance due to Coesfeld's impoverishment through acts of war. The northern one collapsed - also caused by a November storm - in 1681. It was not until the following spring that the bells, whose wooden framework had withstood the storm inside the ruins, could be recovered and the rubble removed. Thus, the Lambertikirche today has the oldest connected bells in Westphalia. The construction of the new tower, the work of Gottfried Laurenz Pictorius, began in 1686 and continued until 1703. It is similar to the tower of the Jesuit church built at the same time. It was not until the bombing war in World War II, which the Lambertikirche survived comparatively less destroyed than the city of Coesfeld, did the building nevertheless cause some serious damage. The sacristy received a direct bombing hit, the south aisle vault collapsed. The tracery of the windows had broken out. This damage had been repaired by 1953. 
September 20, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.