Shop
Discover

Altes Rathaus (Leipzig)

Altes Rathaus (Leipzig)

Hiking Highlight

Created by komoot users
Recommended by 408 out of 434 hikers

Tips

  • Explorer

    The old city hall of Leipzig stands with its front opposite the main entrance of the Mädlerpassage and is a beautiful Renaissance building.
    It is also the landmark backdrop for the well-known Leipzig Christmas Market.
    The first town hall building at this point dates from the 14th century.
    Forming for the building was from 1556 Hieronymus Lotter, then mayor of Leipzig, also very well known as a master builder of the Saxon Elector August for his hunting lodge Augustusburg near Chemnitz.

    translated byView Original
    • September 19, 2015

  • André

    In 1556, the foundation stone was laid for the "Old Town Hall".
    Since 1909 it has served as a city history museum.
    Currently, the city of Leipzig uses the house among other things for cultural and concert events.

    translated byView Original
    • December 12, 2017

  • JR56

    The Old Town Hall lives up to its name because its foundation stone was laid in 1556. Since 1909 it has served as a city history museum.
    The ballroom in the building is 43 meters long and was formerly used for festivities of the Saxon sovereigns, patrician weddings, handicraft festivals and student balls. Court hearings also took place here. Today it is used, among other things, for cultural and concert events in the city of Leipzig. The market is through the city tunnel

    leipzig.de/freizeit-kultur-und-tourismus/tourismus/sehenswuerdigkeiten/markt-und-altes-rathaus

    translated byView Original
    • June 15, 2019

  • Volkmar Blase

    Leipzig city center with beautiful passages and the historic Nikolaikirche

    translated byView Original
    • December 3, 2016

  • Karsten S.

    The Old Town Hall is located directly on the market. Here, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 9am to 4pm, there is usually a weekly market with fresh local produce. The market also hosts the Christmas market, the Easter market, the wine festival or the market days.

    translated byView Original
    • September 10, 2019

  • Sachsen Onkel

    Built in the middle of the 14th century, it is one of the most important Renaissance buildings in Germany.

    translated byView Original
    • May 19, 2017

  • Michi LE

    In 1341, Margrave Friedrich II of Meißen transferred a representative building south of the market, which was probably built in the Romanesque style at the end of the 13th century, to the Leipzig cloth makers. In terms of location and area, this building roughly corresponds to today's council chamber of the Old Town Hall. It can be assumed that the city council already performed its duties here. A Leipzig town hall was first mentioned in documents in 1360. Due to the growth of Leipzig and the resulting additional tasks of the city council, there were extensions on the north side of the cloth house. The first two new buildings that extend to the present day were built on the foundations of previous buildings, which explains the "kink" in the longitudinal facade of the town hall of around three degrees between the first and second gable from the right.In the middle of the 15th century there was a merger with two other buildings north of today's passage. In December 1467 a new council chamber was completed. The overbuilding of the passage through a stair tower and thus the final merging of the individual buildings is not exactly verifiable. A stair tower was mentioned for the first time in 1476. The cloth makers moved into their own building in 1482. A year later, a secret chamber was created, which is a kind of mezzanine and can now be visited as the aerar (treasure chamber). In 1498, as trade was booming at that time, it was decided to renovate the town hall, but this became financially impossible. Oldest view of the Old Town Hall from 1547 Old Town Hall, 1672 The Leipzig market square with the old town hall, 1712There were fundamental structural changes by the middle of the 16th century, for example the town hall was widened by around four meters in the direction of the Naschmarkt, accompanied by an increase in the size of the roof. The town hall was rebuilt in 1556/57 by the ruling mayor and wholesale merchant Hieronymus Lotter and thus largely received its present appearance in the style of the Saxon Renaissance. The first head master was Paul Speck, who was probably responsible for the design. He was followed by master Paul Widemann after his death in early 1557. The town's master mason, Parakeet Pfretzschner, was also involved.Source: Wikipedia

    translated byView Original
    • October 31, 2021

  • Dropsi 🚴 & Emily 🦇

    In the game stand Broy there are recipes for free. Everything always fresh, affordable prices and real specialties!

    translated byView Original
    • October 30, 2019

  • Andy

    The old town hall of Leipzig is located on the east side of the market and is one of the most important buildings of the Saxon Renaissance. In the periphery of the old town hall, life has always been in the center of the city and the old walls are witnesses and silent observers of the city's lively history. The venerable building was erected in the middle of the 14th century, because the wealthy citizens of Leipzig wanted to create a place that was appropriate for the various functions regulating urban life in the growing trading city.

    translated byView Original
    • September 7, 2021

  • Lilifee

    The old town hall is located in the city center and is beautiful, I personally like the new one better.

    translated byView Original
    • September 6, 2020

  • Anke 🤗

    Nice building with small shops.

    translated byView Original
    • September 6, 2021

  • Thomas ADFC Saar

    Very nice building with a big market in the forecourt.

    translated byView Original
    • September 21, 2020

  • Ilja

    The tower divides the building in the ratio of small to large and large to whole - the golden ratio

    translated byView Original
    • June 3, 2021

  • Anke 🤗

    Just take a look for yourself.

    translated byView Original
    • November 1, 2021

  • timm

    1556 was the foundation stone

    translated byView Original
    • June 6, 2020

  • Wieby 1978 🚲 🥾 🧗🏼‍♀️ 👩🏼

    Beautiful old town hall

    translated byView Original
    • August 13, 2020

  • Michi LE

    In 1341, Margrave Friedrich II of Meißen transferred a representative building south of the market, which was probably built in the Romanesque style at the end of the 13th century, to the Leipzig cloth makers. In terms of location and area, this building roughly corresponds to today's council chamber of the Old Town Hall. It can be assumed that the city council already performed its duties here. A Leipzig town hall was first mentioned in documents in 1360. Due to the growth of Leipzig and the resulting additional tasks of the city council, there were extensions on the north side of the cloth house. The first two new buildings that extend to the present day were built on the foundations of previous buildings, which explains the "kink" in the longitudinal facade of the town hall of around three degrees between the first and second gable from the right.In the middle of the 15th century there was a merger with two other buildings north of today's passage. In December 1467 a new council chamber was completed. The overbuilding of the passage through a stair tower and thus the final merging of the individual buildings is not exactly verifiable. A stair tower was mentioned for the first time in 1476. The cloth makers moved into their own building in 1482. A year later, a secret chamber was created, which is a kind of mezzanine and can now be visited as the aerar (treasure chamber). In 1498, as trade was booming at that time, it was decided to renovate the town hall, but this became financially impossible. Oldest view of the Old Town Hall from 1547 Old Town Hall, 1672 The Leipzig market square with the old town hall, 1712There were fundamental structural changes by the middle of the 16th century, for example the town hall was widened by around four meters in the direction of the Naschmarkt, accompanied by an increase in the size of the roof. The town hall was rebuilt in 1556/57 by the ruling mayor and wholesale merchant Hieronymus Lotter and thus largely received its present appearance in the style of the Saxon Renaissance. The first head master was Paul Speck, who was probably responsible for the design. He was followed by master Paul Widemann after his death in early 1557. The town's master mason, Parakeet Pfretzschner, was also involved.Source: Wikipedia

    translated byView Original
    • November 3, 2021

  • Michi LE

    Im Jahr 1341 übereignete Markgraf Friedrich II. von Meißen den Leipziger Tuchmachern ein vermutlich Ende des 13. Jahrhunderts im romanischen Stil massiv errichtetes repräsentatives Gebäude südlich des Marktes. Dieser Bau entspricht in Lage und Grundfläche etwa der heutigen Ratsstube des Alten Rathauses. Anzunehmen ist, dass bereits hier der Stadtrat seine Aufgaben wahrnahm. Urkundlich erwähnt wurde ein Leipziger Rathaus erstmals 1360. An der Nordseite des Tuchhauses kam es, aufgrund des Wachstums Leipzigs und der daraus resultierenden Mehraufgaben des Stadtrates, zu Erweiterungen. Die zunächst zwei bis zum heutigen Durchgang reichenden Neubauten wurden auf Fundamenten vorheriger Gebäude errichtet, so lässt sich auch der „Knick“ in der Längsfassade des Rathauses von etwa drei Grad zwischen dem ersten und dem zweiten Zwerchgiebel von rechts erklären.Mitte des 15. Jahrhunderts kam es zum Zusammenschluss mit zwei weiteren Bauten nördlich des heutigen Durchgangs. Im Dezember 1467 wurde eine neue Ratsstube fertiggestellt. Die Überbauung des Durchgangs durch einen Treppenturm und somit die endgültige Zusammenführung der Einzelgebäude ist nicht genau nachweisbar. Erstmals wurde 1476 ein Treppenturm erwähnt. Die Tuchmacher bezogen 1482 ein eigenes Gebäude. Ein Jahr später wurde eine Geheimkammer angelegt, die eine Art Zwischengeschoss darstellt und heute als Aerar (Schatzkammer) zu besichtigen ist. Im Jahre 1498 wurde, da der Handel zu dieser Zeit florierte, ein Umbau des Rathauses beschlossen, der finanziell dann jedoch unmöglich wurde. Älteste Ansicht des Alten Rathauses von 1547 Altes Rathaus, 1672 Der Leipziger Marktplatz mit dem Alten Rathaus, 1712Bis Mitte des 16. Jahrhunderts gab es grundlegende bauliche Änderungen, so wurde das Rathaus um etwa vier Meter in Richtung Naschmarkt verbreitert, einhergehend mit einer Vergrößerung und Erhöhung des Daches. Das Rathaus wurde 1556/57 vom regierenden Bürgermeister und Großkaufmann Hieronymus Lotter umgebaut und erhielt damit weitestgehend seine heutige äußere Gestalt im Stil der Sächsischen Renaissance. Erster Obermeister war Paul Speck, dem wohl auch der Entwurf zuzuschreiben ist. Ihm folgte nach seinem Tod Anfang 1557 Meister Paul Widemann. Weiter beteiligt war auch der Ratsmaurermeister der Stadt, Sittich Pfretzschner. Quelle: Wikipedia

    • August 6, 2021

  • Michi LE

    In 1341, Margrave Friedrich II of Meißen transferred a representative building south of the market, which was probably built in the Romanesque style at the end of the 13th century, to the Leipzig cloth makers. In terms of location and area, this building roughly corresponds to today's council chamber of the Old Town Hall. It can be assumed that the city council already performed its duties here. A Leipzig town hall was first mentioned in a document in 1360. Due to the growth of Leipzig and the resulting additional tasks of the city council, there were extensions on the north side of the cloth house. The first two new buildings, which extend to today's passage, were built on the foundations of previous buildings, which explains the "kink" in the longitudinal facade of the town hall of around three degrees between the first and second gable from the right.In the middle of the 15th century there was a merger with two other buildings north of today's passage. In December 1467 a new council chamber was completed. The overbuilding of the passage through a stair tower and thus the final merging of the individual buildings is not exactly verifiable. A stair tower was mentioned for the first time in 1476. The cloth makers moved into their own building in 1482. A year later, a secret chamber was created, which is a kind of mezzanine and can now be visited as the aerar (treasure chamber). In 1498, as trade was booming at that time, it was decided to renovate the town hall, but this became financially impossible. Oldest view of the Old Town Hall from 1547 Old Town Hall, 1672 The Leipzig market square with the old town hall, 1712There were fundamental structural changes by the middle of the 16th century, for example the town hall was widened by around four meters in the direction of the Naschmarkt, accompanied by an increase in the size of the roof. The town hall was rebuilt in 1556/57 by the ruling mayor and wholesale merchant Hieronymus Lotter and was largely given its current appearance in the style of the Saxon Renaissance. The first head master was Paul Speck, who was probably responsible for the design. He was followed by master Paul Widemann after his death in early 1557. The town's master mason, Parakeet Pfretzschner, was also involved.Source: Wikipedia

    translated byView Original
    • 6 days ago

In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

Best Hikes to Altes Rathaus (Leipzig)

loading

Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.

Learn More
loading
Location: Saxony, Germany

Information

  • Elevation120 m

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Saxony

loading
Discover

Altes Rathaus (Leipzig)