Bike Touring Highlight
The historic harbor cranes at the Rheinauhafen are among the last technical certificates of the former goods handling center of an up-and-coming trading metropolis. Today they are listed as historical monuments. However, only six of the formerly more than 35 former cranes have been preserved. When it opened in 1898, the port had 22 cranes, 16 of which were hydraulically operated mobile gantry cranes and six were basement cranes with a lifting capacity of 1.5 to 5 tonnes. Hydraulics was still the dominant driving force in the mid-19th century. Only around 1890 came the drive with electric motors. In Cologne, however, they did not want to rely entirely on the new technology and therefore combined both systems. This is how the power house was built, which contained electronically driven pumps. These pumps generated pressurized water, which was distributed through walk-in channels throughout the port, thus powering the cranes and elevators. Later, more electric and steam cranes were added. Of the six harbor cranes received, all but one of them date from before the Second World War, which is a small miracle for the severely war-torn city of Cologne.Source: kuladig.de/Objektansicht/O-71105-20130805-2
October 15, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!