Catholic parish church of St. JodokusThe Catholic parish church of St. Jodokus is a landmark church building. The community belongs to the Pastoral Care Unit Immenstaad in the Archdiocese of Freiburg. A Gothic choir, an old tower and a church of recent times have grown into a single unit.
History of the parish
The small community originally had a small chapel, it was a branch church of the parish in Bermatingen, which was about three hours away. Bermatingen belonged to the Cistercian abbey of Salem. The faithful from Immenstaad wanted their own pastor because of the long walk, this was vehemently rejected by the Salem Abbey. The congregation turned to (counter) Pope John XXIII, who resided in Bologna. The Immenstaader rebuilt the chapel into a church and laid out a cemetery. After the Council of Constance, the parish was elevated to a parish.
The foundation stone of the first church was laid in 1474, its tower has survived to this day. The completion took place in 1487. The asymmetrical choir still reveals the Gothic influence.
The nave was subject to many changes over the centuries, it was canceled in 1980. The choir was preserved as a side chapel. The then newly built church consecrated Bishop Karl Gnädinger from Freiburg on October 24, 1982. The parish hall and various function rooms were located in the basement. The gothic net vault had to give way to a Baroque plaster ceiling. The choir arch is also a testimony from the gothic era. The baroque decor was replaced according to the taste of the time in the late 19th century by a Neo-Gothic style.
September 22, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!