For the machine shoe production the company Bally needed a lot of energy. About 150 years ago, the company made the decision to switch from steam to hydropower. In order to be able to conduct sufficient water into the factory canal, the Schwelliplatte has therefore been built. However, the combination of stone blocks and gravel was unsuitable, so in 1906 the plate was concreted. With the inauguration of the hydroelectric power plant Gösgen Bally ceased its own power production and the plate lost its importance as a weir.The ravages of time, or the sometimes enormous masses of water put the plate, it created holes. The boarding of the record was therefore prohibited in recent years, it has also been used as a sundeck.In 1991, the plate was extended with an arch bridge to the Niedergösger shore. Thus, the change to the other bank of the Aare was possible. Only 15 years later, this bridge has been dismantled and replaced by the current suspension bridge. The owners Gretzenbach, Niedergösgen and Schönenwerd placed in the 'wildlife' the following ad. «Bridge in wood construction, 20.2 by 2.6 by 4.18 meters, 15 years, glued arch, and weather protected.» The community Gündlischwand (the village is on the way to Grindelwald) received the bridge, selected under 14 Interested persons.
July 18, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!