The castle ruin Neuleiningen occupies a special position among the Palatine castles, as it was probably built due to influences from the Crusades or at least Western European models. Diving into the 16th century is also possible in Burgschänke. Wildly romantic!
June 27, 2017
The castle is built on a regular square as a ground plan; there is a strong tower in every corner. The hall was on the west side of the castle; on the east side there was a rectangular outer bailey with corner bastions. The former castle chapel was later expanded into the town church. Source: pfalz.de
The castle dungeon was on the lower floor of the tower. Prisoners were lowered into the dungeon through the so-called "fear hole" with a winch.
September 1, 2019
The castle ruins are very likely privately owned, because you cannot even enter the inner courtyard during the new lock down (everything is closed). I was able to take some pictures from outside.
Probably the castle was built in the 13th century by Count Friedrich III. von Leiningen († 1287) built on the remains of a Salic complex. It was owned by the Counts of Leiningen, who at that time owned the Leiningerland. Together with Neuleiningen Castle, 1400 m to the north, it controlled the entrance to the Eckbach Valley.  Altleiningen, the Liningian family castle, is located 5 km southwest of the stream. During the Palatinate War of Succession, the facility was destroyed by French troops in 1689. Partially renovated, it remained one of the Leininger residences until 1747.
According to local tradition, which is also recorded on the information board in the courtyard, Marshal Tallard and General Melac ate an opulent dinner here on May 22, 1693 and watched from a distance the burning Heidelberg that they had set alight.
On the night of September 5, 1794, the future Prince Blücher and his troops drove out the French revolutionary army, which had occupied the strategically important place during the 1st coalition war. On the 18th of the month there were new battles around the castle complex, with the later generals Friedrich Wilhelm von Müffling and Joseph von Cloßmann leading the assault on the Battenberg. Both times, Palatinate-Bavarian troops played a decisive role in the fighting.  
Today the ruins are privately owned, but most of them are open to the public. The exposed location allows a wide view to the east of the Rhine plain, Bergstrasse and Odenwald
November 3, 2020
The name is derived - as with the older sister castle Altleiningen, 5 km to the southwest - from the presumably Franconian Counts of Leiningen, who formerly owned the Leiningerland.The castle was built after an inheritance division around 1240 by Count Friedrich III. from Leiningen-Dagsburg. Together with Battenberg Castle to the south (1,400 m as the crow flies), it controlled the entrance to the Eckbach Valley. It remained in their sole ownership for more than 200 years through various lines of the Leininger family.In 1468, Elector Frederick the Victorious of the Palatinate got involved in Liningian inheritance disputes and took possession of the castle by force. A comparison was made in several intermediate stages in 1508: The castle was divided between the diocese of Worms and the Counts of Leiningen-Westerburg.During the Peasants' War in 1525, the castle was opened without a fight to the rebellious peasants, who, however, were graciously and lavishly entertained by the cunning Countess Eva (1481–1543), withdrew without causing any major damage. The local poet Paul Münch describes this historically guaranteed episode in his Palatinate dialect poem Die Countess Eva vun Neileininge.  Even in the Thirty Years' War, the castle only suffered minor damage.During the Palatinate War of Succession, however, the French troops burned the entire complex in 1690. The two owners, Leiningen-Westerburg and the Diocese of Worms, could not agree on the rebuilding in the period that followed - Leiningen was in favor, but Worms was against. In 1767 Karl von Leiningen-Westerburg finally sold the Leiningen half to the diocese of Worms.In the wake of the French Revolution, the castle ruins were secularized and became the property of the Neuleiningen community in 1804. This she sold four years later; In 1874, Count Karl Emich zu Leiningen-Westerburg-Neuleiningen (1856–1906) bought it back for his family
November 3, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.