Saint St Roch is the patron saint against the plague. On Sunday after the 16th of August the pilgrimage to St. Rochus takes place. Then the outdoor fair is held here. The organ can be switched by sound valves and so it also sounds in the outdoor area.
Goethe donated a painting of St. Rocco for the chapel. Unfortunately, the entire chapel burnt down in 1889 by a lightning strike. The present building was rebuilt by master builder Max Meckel from 1893 to 1895. The architectural style is neo-Gothic.
May 26, 2019
Summer 1666: The plague was rampant in Bingen. The basilica had been converted into a hospital to provide makeshift care for the numerous sick. But the infected died, disfigured all over their bodies by plague bumps and ulcers, mostly after a short time. The grave diggers have already refused to bury the contagious victims. And the rulers of the villages around Bingen forbade their subjects to even enter the city under severe punishment. Trade and change were ruined. The terrible plague no longer seemed to be defeated by human means alone. Therefore, the city fathers finally vowed the building of a chapel and a procession in honor of St. Rochus - a vow that is known to be taken seriously in Bingen to the present day.
December 28, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.