The Luckenberger bridge is a road bridge over the Brandenburg Niederhavel in the urban area of Brandenburg an der Havel. It was formerly known as the New Havel Bridge and was built in 1890/91 to connect the Wilhelmsdorfer and Neuendorf suburbs. The former bascule bridge formed a new important link between the city expansion areas of the new town and the old town. It was built as a bascule bridge to allow the navigation continue the passage of the then important waterway, which only in November 1910 by the opening of the silo channel lost in importance. The old bridge was replaced by a new building in 1923 according to plans by Moritz Wolf, because the bridge was no longer able to cope with traffic and the construction of the silo channel meant that a bascule bridge with its technical problems was no longer required. Like many other bridges, the Luckenberger Bridge was destroyed at the end of World War II, but was restored in 1945. It has a total length of 58.60 meters and spans in slim form without buttresses in the water, the Brandenburg Niederhavel and forms due to their design and adequate bridge clearance height no problems for today's passenger and recreational navigation on the river.
May 4, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.