The castle is first mentioned at the end of the 12th century in connection with the noble free von Waischenfeld, before it fell to the burgraves of Nuremberg in 1347 and was destroyed in 1460. Rebuilt from 1489 to 1495 by Konz von Wirsberg, the subsequent owners, the Barons von Rabenstein, converted it into a Renaissance castle in 1570. During the Thirty Years' War the facility was burned down by the Waischenfeldern due to the relationship with the Swedes and was not rebuilt until 1692. After a long period of vacancy and deterioration, another renovation took place in 1829. Rabenstein Castle is now one of the tourist attractions in Franconian Switzerland and is known, among other things, for Northern Bavaria's largest medieval market
February 15, 2021
The castle was founded at the beginning of the 13th century as the ancestral seat of the Schlüsselberg family. In 1347 it fell to the bishopric of Bamberg, and the Stiebar von Buttenheim held the castle as free property until 1530. During the Peasants' War the complex was destroyed in 1525 and after its reconstruction in 1577 it came into the possession of the Knights of Rabenstein. Since these were connected with the Swedes during the Thirty Years' War, the castle was destroyed by the Waischenfeldern in 1635 and only half of it was rebuilt. In 1742 it fell to the Counts of Schönborn. The main castle today consists of a gatehouse, a three-storey residential building and a Schütthaus. From the outer bailey, the surrounding masonry, the ruins of a three meter high corner tower and overgrown mounds of rubble from other buildings are visible. The castle chapel dates from 1415, and it was rebuilt between 1733 and 1737. Visits are possible by appointment. In summer, historical events take place in the castle courtyard.
March 1, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!