Mountain Biking Highlight
In 1730 a chapel was built in honor of St. John Nepomuk by baron Ignatz Anton von Otten, the land judge in Kemnath and Reichstag director in Regensburg, in Waldeck. He thus fulfilled the last wish of his seriously ill wife Euphrasia. On July 4, 1731, the chapel was consecrated by Pastor Thomas Krempel. Due to an increasing number of pilgrims, the Freiherr von Otten intended to build the small chapel into a church. For this reason, he obtained in 1734 an indulgence for the participants of the patronal feast. On May 11, 1735, the pilgrimage church was consecrated by auxiliary bishop Gottfried Langwerth of Simmern in the presence of the priests of the Franciscan monastery in Kemnath.
The baron Ignatz Anton von Otten could not carry out the expansion himself, he died on August 21, 1737 in Regensburg. Instead, his son Philipp Carl Erwin von Otten, a land judge in Kemnath, continued his father's plan. Already in 1738 he made his first preparations for the enlargement, but the complete establishment of the church could not be completed until 1749. Opposite, he had a priest house built with an apartment for a church servant. To promote the pilgrimages to the new church, he founded in 1750 with the consent of the Episcopal Ordinariate a Johann Nepomuk Brotherhood. Since 1794 she is parish church of Waldeck.
April 23, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!