Mountain Biking Highlight
A sprawling forest area, the so-called woodpecker forest (Old High German Spetheshart), was in the High Middle Ages in the North. On this territory, the childless couple Adelvolk and Richenza von Reifenberg presumably donated the monastery Speinshart in 1145. The brothers of Adelvolk, Eberhard (later Bishop of Bamberg with the name Eberhard II of Otelingen) and Reinhold participated by goods in the equipment of this monastery foundation.
Whether already at the foundation of the monastery Chorherren from the Premonstratensian monastery Wilten near Innsbruck in Tyrol - from there came the first Premonstratensians to Speinshart - were present, can not be said with complete certainty. In a Papal letter of protection from 1181 the Premonstratensians in Speinshart were first mentioned in documents. Its location in a swampy valley, however, corresponds to the classic choice of location for a Premonstratensian monastery, as Prémontré - the first monastery of the Order of Saint Norbert of Xanten - lay in a swampy valley. This evidence indicates that the monastery Speinshart was actually founded for the Premonstratensians. In different parts of the region, the Premonstratensians took over pastoral care and cultivated religious and cultural life in the following centuries.de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kloster_Speinshart
February 23, 2019
As a monument of European standing, the monastery village of Speinshart is one of the most beautiful villages in southern Germany. It developed from the economic buildings of the abbey, which were offered for sale to the former employees, tenants and administrators of the monastery after secularization in 1803.
Most of the buildings were built in the middle of the 18th century. A fire in 1749 caused Abbot Dominic I to rebuild many of the economic buildings. Others he baroque. Several memorial plaques still remember the devastating fire of 1746, which was caused by negligence by a cattle servant named 'Michael'. "Speinshart - the rural monastery village with tradition" is the motto found by the citizens and working groups for village renewal, which began in 1983. To date, most of the properties have been renovated with the aim of preserving historical monuments. This gives the monastery village its special atmosphere bit by bit.
April 13, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!