Schloss Louisenlund was built around 1775 on the estate Tegelhave, which had been bought in 1563 by Duke Adolf of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorf.The building is named after the daughter of the Danish King Friedrich V. Louise and her husband, Landgrave Carl von Hessen, who served as Gottorfer governor of the Kingdom of Denmark, used it as a summer residence.Today Louisenlund is owned by the family of the ducal line Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg. After it was seized by the Kriegsmarine during World War II and later also used as refugee accommodation, Friedrich Herzog of Schleswig-Holstein made the property available to the Stiftung Louisenlund in 1949 as a country education center and boarding school for sailors.The Masonic Park designed by Carl von Hessen is considered the most important in Europe.Guided tours of the area are available by appointment.
July 28, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.