History of the Farchauer paper mill
The origin of the Farchauer paper mill lies on the Bäk on the east bank of the Ratzeburg Domsee. There, in 1586, Christopher Gerlich set up a paper mill on the “Mechower Strome”, which passed through his son Hans and granddaughter Catharina to their second husband (the first, Heinrich Cordts, had died) Ernst Bergmann. Bergmann sold the Bäker Mühle to a Hamburg merchant in 1661 and in the same year bought the previous copper mill in Farchau from Duke Julius Heinrich (year of foundation unknown). There Bergmann erected the now renovated two-story (plus ground floor and attic) main building in half-timbered construction. As a paper mill, it was in operation for almost 200 years, until the new technology put an end to the old craft's scooping operations and a cloth mill was built from the paper mill.From 1848 - after the paper production was discontinued - the mill was run as an agricultural operation, before Johann August Theodor Marwitz from Ratzeburg opened a cloth factory here in 1856. Where the papers were before, the cloths were now dried on the upper floor. In the final phase of paper production, the mill received a tapping license, which later passed to the neighboring malt mill (today Hotel Restaurant Farchauer Mühle).ln-online.de/Lokales/Lauenburg/Hof-Farchau-erstrahlt-in-neuem-Glanz
December 7, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.