The church was built from 1206 to 1223 near the village as the main church of the Cistercian monastery "To the Holy Cross". After the destruction of Schleiz in the Thirty Years War, the place became the seat of the Reuss rule. This brief reign left its mark on the interior of the church in the stalls, in the sanctuary and the royal lodge (Wikipedia).
November 27, 2018
The Church of St. Mary was founded between 1206 - 1223, making it one of the oldest churches in the area.1310 - 1533 it was the main church of the monastery Heilgen Kreuz at Saalburg.In 1665, the high altar towering above the choir was designed by Barthold Pethes from Schleiz.1646 - 1666 Saalburg was the seat of a minor Reussian rule and even today you can find some traces of it in the church (for example, a royal lodge).
Also the baptismal font (presumably around 1660) belongs to the precious interior of the church.
The tower carries three steel bells from the 20s and the organ was created by Franz Schilling (Schleiz) in 1843 and completely renovated in 2016
March 24, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.