The true beginnings of this beautiful brick building lie in the darkness of history. Although a coat of arms suggests the year 1566, we know that the new church code for the duchies of Schleswig and Holstein was adopted and introduced by the Diet in 1542 here in the council chamber. Since then, the venerable structure has survived much, such as a long siege in the Thirty Years' War and finally a devastating fire in 1973. From the characteristic stepped gable of the Old Town Hall, a modern carillon plays a folk melody over the Old Town market every two hours. The building, which is over four and a half centuries old, serves today as a representative building and, on the other hand, the resolutions of city politics are worked out here and voted on in the venerable Council Chamber. Likewise, bridal couples can give their vows here in venerable surroundings. It is also worthwhile to visit the Council Chamber in the course of a guided tour, but especially the Senate Room with its 1720 paneling.
November 3, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!