Bike Touring Highlight
The Farchau farm with the former paper mill from 1661, the renovated horse stable from 1928, the glass-covered flat outbuilding in the garden and the rebuilt boathouse on the banks of the kitchen lake are privately owned.
"The mill wheel is a so-called" Dutch wheel "that was reconstructed from a postcard from around 1900. And that from a company from Thuringia that specializes in it ”. The reconstruction in the old sense is, by the way, practicable: it generates so much electricity via a turbine inside the mill that it is sufficient to supply the entire main building with hot water.
The listed property itself was bought in 2012 and “has since been extensively renovated in close cooperation with the authorities (monument and nature conservation, water)”.ln-online.de/Lokales/Lauenburg/Hof-Farchau-erstrahllt-in-neuem-Glanz
October 18, 2018
History of the Farchau paper mill
The origin of the Farchau paper mill lies on the Bäk on the east bank of the Ratzeburger Domsee. There, in 1586, Christopher Gerlich set up a paper mill on the “Mechower Strome”, which Ernst Bergmann got through his son Hans and his granddaughter Catharina to their second husband (the first, Heinrich Cordts, had died). Bergmann sold the Bäker Mühle to a Hamburg merchant in 1661 and bought the previous copper mill in Farchau from Duke Julius Heinrich in the same year (year of foundation unknown).There Bergmann erected the now renovated two-storey (plus ground and attic) main building in half-timbered construction. It was in operation as a paper mill for almost 200 years, until the new technology put an end to the scoop of the old craft and a cloth mill was built out of the paper mill.
From 1848 - after the cessation of paper production - the mill was run as an agricultural enterprise before Johann August Theodor Marwitz from Ratzeburg opened a cloth factory here in 1856. Where the papers used to be, the fabrics on the upper floor have now been dried. Incidentally, in the final phase of paper production, the mill received a bar license, which was later transferred to the neighboring malt mill (today Hotel Restaurant Farchauer Mühle).ln-online.de/Lokales/Lauenburg/Hof-Farchau-erstrahllt-in-neuem-Glanz
January 20, 2019
The former Farchau paper mill has been in operation for many centuries since 1661. Not only worth seeing because of the mill wheel still in operation: the cultural monument directly on the Küchensee houses three luxurious holiday apartments in the former mill building. Brand new three more apartments in the barn.
May 16, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.