Bike Touring Highlight
The castle was built in the 12th century and was owned in 1277 by the Knights Kropf, who named themselves after the Kropf von Kipfenberg Castle and who were previously ministerials of the Counts von Hirschberg, who owned the Hirschberg Castle. On September 11, 1301, Konrad, known as Struma (Kropf), sold the “castrum et oppidum Kipfenberg” with all possessions to the Eichstätt monastery (Bishop Konrad II of Pfeffenhausen).
In the course of secularization, the Prince-Bishopric of Eichstätt was dissolved on February 25, 1803, and Kipfenberg Castle passed to the state, which sold it to private individuals. The castle began to deteriorate in the 18th century and was largely demolished from 1839 onwards. In 1895 the privateer Franz Häusler von München bought the castle from the postman Schiedermeier and in 1914 it passed into the possession of the Taeschner family from Potsdam.
From 1914 to 1925 the castle was rebuilt according to a design by the architect Bodo Ebhardt according to the principles of modern living culture with a castle character around the free-standing keep.
December 20, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.