The design of the figurehead, a stylized albatross, comes from the Bochum artist and former submarine commander Heinrich Schroeteler. The first albatross was made of wood and graced the sail training ship Gorch Fock from 1958, but broke off after a few years. The replacement figure was also made of wood. In 1969 she was replaced for weight reasons. First, the figurehead was set up in the Naval School Mürwik, later in front of the naval base Olpenitz. After the closure of the base and a public debate on the whereabouts of the figurehead, this was after thorough work on 29.11.2012 on the southern bridgehead of Schleibrücke their new place.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!