Bike Touring Highlight
This church is dedicated to St. Clement, the patron saint of seafarers and is located just off the through road in Kongsmark. On the northern outer wall you will find the famous Romo commander stones, so a stop here is definitely recommended.
Built around 1200, its immediate history in the Middle Ages is still in the dark. It was probably first built in the Romanesque style, as indicated by some building elements. However, the tower can clearly be assigned to the Gothic period and shows the typical shape that was common in Schleswig at the time.
The attached dates always point to one of the many restorations and extensions of the church. Due to the harsh weather and the ever-increasing population as well as the growing wealth, these were very often necessary.
The initials CN and JM can be seen in the northern gable area and the southern facade. These commemorate the parish priest Christian Neve and the parish leader Jesper Mathiesen.
October 27, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!