Bike Touring Highlight
Info as of March 21, 2020:
Parts of the castle complex are being renovated. Driving and parking is not possible. The castle tavern is closed. The museums and the bastion garden are open at regular times.The castle was built in 1355 by Bishop Berthold Burggraf von Zollern and served as bishopric until 1725. Over the next centuries, the Willibaldsburg was expanded by various bishops. In the 17th century, the castle was converted into a representative residence. In 1633 the castle was conquered by the Swedes but was recaptured in the same year. From the 420 m long castle complex, walls and bastions, the armory, the 63 m long gate hall and the "Gemmingen building" with the two towers have been preserved. In the north wing of Gemmingenbau is the Jura Museum with the well-known fossils of the Solnhofen slab limestone. Prehistory museum housed. In 1998 the so-called bastion garden with plants from the Hortus Eystettensis was set up on the blacksmith bastion.Source / more information:
eichstaett.de/poi/willibaldsburg-1761The Jura Museum is also open again and worth a visit:
April 5, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!