Hiking Highlight (Segment)
"Badia a Coltibuono", former Benedictine monastery. The construction of the monastery began in 1051. The name translates as "Abbey of the Good Harvest". It is one of the oldest monasteries in Tuscany.
Probably the Etruscans settled here already 2000 years ago. The monks planted vineyards and olive groves. In the 15th century, under the protection of Lorenzo de 'Medici, the monastery is flourishing. After Tuscany in 1810 came under the supremacy of Napoleon, the monks had to leave the monastery and it was secularized. In 1811 it was first sold in a lottery - until it was acquired in 1846 by the family of today's owners.
November 13, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!