According to legend, this source on the castle hill is a drain of the castle fountain.
"The water used to come out of the tuff from the ground.
Outside, the spring was framed with a few wooden boards and a few stones
lay around it. Everything was wild and nobody led the way. "
The larger of the springs north of the castle hill has long been the name
Mechtildenbrunnen and it is often claimed that the inhabitants of the once on the
Place Schönenberg Castle brought here the drinking water.
The Mechtildisbrünnlein is a small fountain grotto.
In 1885 the chapel was built and the spring was rebuilt.
On the pediment of the Mechtildis Fountain is a plaque:
"This source is a drain of the fountain in the castle Schönenberg, where the St. Mechtild
anno 1127 was born u. often drank here in her youth. This water was
formerly great healing power especially attributed to eye diseases. 1869, the source was new
caught. Renovated in 1885. "
One wrote and writes to the water especially in the morning healing power against
Eye complaints too.
July 1, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!