Mountain Biking Highlight
As the first owner of Rauheneck, Hartung is first mentioned by Ruhenekke in an undated document (around 1130). The family of the Rauhenecker (who called themselves after 1200 "Tursen") colonized the forest at the foot of the castle in the 12th and 13th centuries, where a wreath of small villages was created. The lords demanded only very small (money) levies and forest services from their subjects in the villages.
In 1384, the sex of the Tursen went out and the possessions went to the family of the Walseer. In the turbulent history, the castle was destroyed several times, but always rebuilt, sometimes even expanded.
In 1477, the Serbian troops of the Hungarian King Matthias Corvinus stormed the castle and destroyed it, a reconstruction should not have taken place thereafter. The final destruction of the castle Rauheneck took place in 1529 by the Turks.
The ruin was later acquired by the Doblhoff family and made accessible to visitors in 1810. In 1961, the city of Baden acquired the castle hill with the ruin and had it renovated.
Legend has it that the builder of the tower wanders around the castle as a ghost. He is no sooner redeemed until a cradle is made from the wood of a pine that has sprouted from the walls of the keep, and a Sunday child is swung in it, which later enters the priesthood. However, a storm destroyed the tree more than a hundred years ago, so the old spirit has to continue wailing mournfully.
September 27, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!