It has been part of the townscape of Oberhof for 115 years now - the monument to Duke Ernst II of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, in whose lasting reign until 1893 the development of Oberhof has become an important tourist destination. Incidentally, it was donated by the Oberhofer hotelier Fritz Fleischer, the owner of the hotel "Schweizerhof" was - the subsequent "hotel to the Thuringian Forest" and later "Ernst-Thälmann-Haus". The monument was inaugurated on August 22, 1903 - the tenth anniversary of the death of Duke Ernst II. Created by the Gotha-born Berlin sculptor Korn in 1902 and 1903 and placed in the center of the park, it shows in Oberhofer granite embedded the relief picture of the Duke as a hunter, the source, Wild (a doe with -kalb) and surrounded forest , The bronze relief on a large natural stone shows the side portrait of Ernst II with a cylinder. After 1945 to 1997 the coat of arms of Oberhof replaced this relief. And by the way, the "Weather Column", about 50 meters away, was set up in the summer of 1893 - 125 years ago.(Source: Wochenspiegel-Thüringen.de)
March 21, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.