Ciutadella was originally founded by the Carthaginians. In ancient times the city was called Iamona. In the 4th century it was already the seat of a bishop.
Later it came under the influence of the Moors and as Medina Minurqa was the only larger city on the island.
In 1287, King Alfonso III. owned the island for the crown of Aragon.
On July 9, 1558, the city suffered severe damage from an attack by Ottoman troops. Today's cityscape with its baroque and neoclassical noble palaces and churches is essentially a relic of the 16th to 19th centuries.
During the British domination of the island, Ciutadella lost its capital function to Maó (Mahon) in 1722.
In 1795, however, in Ciutadella, the early medieval
diocese revived; thus the city is at least the religious center of Menorca.
Source and more info
June 8, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!