Bike Touring Highlight
In 1868, the Count Bismarck 1/4 coal mine was founded, which was named after the recently proclaimed Prussian Prime Minister and Chancellor of the North German Confederation. In 1914 they built their own factory port on the Rhine-Herne Canal, over which the coal was shipped. During the Second World War, the coal mine reached its highest production level with three million tons of coal. In 1966, the port was closed in the course of the decommissioning of the mine. Today, a modern urban quarter is being built in its surroundings.
April 3, 2017
The Graf Bismarck harbor (the name of the highlight is currently still wrong) has been converted into a "city quarter" for several years. Information on this is available in this video:
The increase in value is clearly noticeable: it has grown from an old harbor basin to a 'marina', construction is being carried out around it and the cycle path has also been given a stylish bridge with a suspension device. This is what positive change looks like.
May 29, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.