Bike Touring Highlight
The patron saint of the community Wriedel "the holy Suidbert" was an Anglo-Saxon Benediktinermönch, which entered as the first missionary from England Frisian soil. In 693 he was ordained a bishop in England. In 1345, for the first time in Wriedel, a church was mentioned in a document, named "Capella sancti Swiberti". In 1544 the Wriedelers were allowed to found their own parish and the church was extended. The demolition took place in 1827, the building had meanwhile become dilapidated. In autumn 1829, the new church was inaugurated. The organ was later donated by the family Refardt from Wulfsode. Because of their timber framework, however, it was more like a barn than a church and therefore did not enjoy the Wriedeler in the long run. Following a design by the Uelzen architects Warnecke, the present church was rebuilt on the same hill as the first chapel and completed in 1913. It offers space for 750 visitors, the pillar arch on both sides of the sanctuary bear the likenesses of great Protestant combatants. Three bells ring in the high tower of the church. A new organ has now been purchased and the spire had to be repaired. Thus, the church has been changed several times in the last centuries, was, and still is, but always the center of the place.Source:
April 29, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.